If savings, federal student loans, and scholarships aren’t enough to cover all of your college or graduate school expenses, GenFed can help! We offer private student loans through Sallie Mae® with affordable low rates and flexible repayment options.
GenFed also offers a number of alternative loans that can be used for the purpose of educational funding including home equity loans, using your vehicle as collateral and personal loans.
The Smart Option Student Loan® for GenFed by Sallie Mae® for borrowers attending degree-granting institutions.
Now you can pay for college the smart way with three great repayment options and competitive interest rates!
This loan is an ideal solution to help you pay for college expenses not covered by scholarships and federal loans. To learn more or to apply, please get started by clicking below.
The Smart Option Student Loan features and benefits:
- Multiple in-school repayment options plus a choice of competitive fixed and variable interest rates, providing even more flexibility
- No origination fee and no prepayment penalty
- Benefits and an interest rate reduction available
- Rates that reward creditworthy borrowers
- Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may help you qualify
- 100% US-based Student Loan Specialists
To learn more, please get started by clicking below.
Before you decide to apply for a private student loan for yourself or your child, we encourage you to explore financing options such as scholarships, grants, or state and federal student loans.
If you’re preparing to pay for an education, you’ll need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA. For the best results on your FAFSA, answer “yes” to question #33.
When you begin applying for loans, it’s best to apply in this order:
- Stafford subsidized – this is a governmental loan where the interest is paid by the government. Payments are normally due after graduation. Loan amount is based on financial need.
- Stafford non-subsidized – this is a governmental loan. Payments are normally due after graduation. Loan amount is based on financial need.
- PLUS – this is a loan for the parents of a student. Total amount available = cost of education minus Stafford loans minus grants or scholarships. Minimum payments begin when the loan begins.
If you have submitted an application in the past 60 days, please contact your local GenFed branch directly. Multiple submissions can negatively affect your credit history.
Visit Mapping Your Future for free online entrance and exit loan counseling.
Our Co-op Advantage program rewards you based on your total amount of deposit and loan balances with GenFed. Learn more.
We are compensated by Sallie Mae for the referral of Smart Option Student Loan customers.
*As certified by your school and confirmed by Sallie Mae, less other financial aid received. Sallie Mae reserves the right to approve a lower loan amount than what the school has certified. Requested amounts exceeding $99,999 may require multiple loans.